Firefighters are there for us all year round and it was an absolute pleasure to visit Southgate Fire Station and meet with the Green Watch who will be working over the festive period.
During my visit, I learned about the danger of fires from lithium batteries in e-scooters and electric bikes. With three deaths this year, and around 60 injuries, this is London’s fastest-growing fire risk according to the London Fire Brigade.
As e-bike and e-scooter usage grows, the key safety concern comes from unregulated, unsafe products – usually bought online – causing fires. This includes chargers, batteries & conversion kits.
I have now raised my concerns with the Department for Transport and urged the government to consider better regulation to protect people from further harm.